How to get the most out of your wardrobe and SAVE MONEY
A big part of closet organization has to do with maintaining your wardrobe. A lot of the time this means getting rid of clothes in order to downsize and make room for new clothes. Well, what happens when you’re short on cash and can’t afford to buy a new outfit every month? Sometimes the best solution is to make your clothes last longer. With proper clothing care and closet storage you can really extend the life of your wardrobe and save money in the long run.
- When washing use the coldest water possible for your clothes. Using cold water saves energy and money, and prevents shrinking and wrinkling.
- Avoid over-using dry cleaning. Dry cleaning is expensive, and the harsh chemicals will harm your clothes.
- If you can, avoid the dryer at all costs. Dryers weaken the fibers in your clothes. Line dry your clothes if you can, or get a drying rack.
- Wash your clothes less. The agitating, tumbling, and coming in contact with other garments can cause fading, stretching, pulling, and other damage to your clothes.
- Choose the right clothes for each activity. If you know things are going to get messy, put on something durable that you won’t mind getting dirty.
Closet Storage Solutions
- Invest in hangars with wood or plush arms. Wire and plastic hangers can stretch out the shoulders of your garments. Also, always fold knits and heavy sweaters, they will stretch out on a hanger.
- Store off-season clothing in a cool, dark, dry place. Avoiding excess moisture will discourage mold growth. Keeping your clothes out of sunlight will prevent them from fading.
- Never store clothes in plastic. Fibers need to breathe and plastic traps moisture, which can cause mildew, odors and color changes. Store clothes in breathable garment bags to let air flow in and out. You can add scented pieces to keep the clothing smelling fresh.
- Repair your clothes before putting them away. This will dramatically extend the life of each garment. If your favorite sweater or blouse loses a button or has a seam open up, fix the problem instead of retiring that item of clothing.
- Rotate your wardrobe to avoid wearing out your favorites, especially for kids’ clothes.
The importance of proper closet storage and cleaning to maintain your clothes cannot be overstated. Make the most of these tips and consider a custom storage solution to help you save more money on the clothes that you wear by haing adequate closet shelves and hanging space to store your clothes safely.
Do you have an area in your house that needs a custom storage solution? To start the process of customizing your own space, browse our closet photo gallery for ideas and inspiration. Then set up an appointment for a free in-home consultation with a member of our Chicago space saving design team. Or you can call us toll free at 1-800-4-CLOSET.